Friday, July 29, 2011

Pillow Fight

Well, I started a brand new blog about 2 weeks ago and I've only posted once. Hopefully I can keep this up and not completely forget about it! :)

During the weekend of July 4th, my husband and I went to visit my parents in Alabama. That's really when I decided that I wanted to be the next Martha Stewart. I asked my Mom if she could teach me the basics of sewing. Before that trip I, honestly, couldn't sew a button back on, hem a pant, or really do anything with a thread and needle. While I don't claim to be a pro yet I have dipped my toe in the sewing pool.

I'm making over one of our spare bedrooms in our house into a craft room/office. Its a mess right now and nothing has really been done in there. Its being used as an extra storage room while we get everything organized in the garage. Anyway, I have a hutch that I got from my parents (THANKS Mom and Dad!) that needs a little fixing. That project is next! However, I wanted to make some pillows to throw on top of the hutch for a more home-y feel. So, I called my Mom and begged her to show me how to operate a sewing machine long enough to sew some pillows together. Here are a few pictures of what I made!



For a first time sewer, I'd say I did pretty good! I did "cheat" and use a pre-made pillow instead of getting stuffing. So sue me. :) I did, however, find a sewing machine in the thrift store that looks identical to my Mom's sewing machine. Its not new - but it'll do. So, I can keep on with my sewing projects and not have to drive to Alabama to use my Mom's!

Next project: Reupholster the hutch I got from my parents. Hopefully that'll happen soon!

Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment